New House

Helpful Resources

Effective September 1, 2009: All new houses, remodels, and additions must comply with the Proportionality Ordinance which states: for every two bedrooms, a house must have one full bathroom (including a toilet, sink, shower, and/or bathtub) and one living area a minimum of 120 square feet (this means the room would have to be a minimum of 10 feet by 12 feet to meet this requirement). The living area does not include bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchens, unfinished garages, or basements. Pursuant to the Ordinance, a three bedroom house would require one bathroom and one living area; for a four or five bedroom house, two bathrooms and two living areas would be required.

Fees include

  • A non-refundable permit processing fee of 25% will be assessed to the building permit fee; but in no case less than $156 will be charged to all new single-family permits
  • The processing fee is to be paid at the time of submittal and does not apply towards the total amount due once approved
  • $0.49 per square foot of living area - $625 minimum. The permit fee is rounded to the closest dollar with 1 to 49 cents going down and 50 to 99 cents going up to the next dollar
  • $0.12 per square foot for garages. The permit fee is rounded to the closest dollar with 1 to 49 cents going down and 50 to 99 cents going up to the next dollar
  • Water Meter - $150 for 5/8 inch or $180 for 3/4 inch
  • Water Impact Fees - $25 for 5/8 inch or $27.50 for 3/4 inch
  • Walk and Approach - $60 ($30 each)
  • Fence - $35 if applied for with the house permit - or $50 if applied for separately
  • Stormwater Fee - $50
  • Roadway impact fees may be required; the amount is contingent upon the subdivision and the area of the city where the house is being constructed
  • EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 1, 2011: Contractors must apply for water/sewer service and pay the appropriate deposit fees and usage charges

Submittal Requirements

  • All documents are to be submitted on a USB in PDF format; with a paper copy of the: New Residential Building Permit Application and an 11"x17" copy of the foundation and floor plan of the house
  • Architectural plans drawn to scale, including all floor, elevation, roof framing, floor framing, and electrical plans. 
  • One plot plan (must show distance from building to property lines)
  • Building permit application with all information blocks completed
  • Building Site Affidavit (must be notarized prior to submittal). For infill lots or if changing the elevation of a lot, a grading plan may be required to be submitted
  • Copy of Residential Energy Code Compliance Form or Energy Calculation Report (i.e. ResChek)
  • One copy of Notice of Intent (TCEQ form 20022, for construction activity)
  • Construction Site Notice
  • For infill lots, a water and sewer verification form
  • If fence applied for with house, a site plan showing location of fencing and gate(s) is required
  • Erosion Control Plan (on a plot plan, show the following):
    • Drainage arrows
    • Silt Fence, curlex, etc.
    • Concrete wash area
    • Covered trash location

Inspection Process

All work that is permitted must be inspected by the Building Inspection Department and occasionally by other City departments. In order to receive any inspection, a permit identification card must be posted at or in front of the building line. Failure to request these inspections is a violation of local ordinances, but it is also to your advantage to request inspections, or see that your subcontractors request inspections, in order to insure that the work is done correctly.

Each stage of construction must be inspected and approved prior to proceeding with the next phase of construction. Please call us if you have a question concerning the meaning of the terms on the list.

Called Inspections


The plumbing rough and sewer inspection is called in first, after the building permit is obtained. After the plumbing rough and sewer inspection has been approved, the foundation or piers and grade beam inspection is called in.

Foundation Inspections

Before calling the foundation inspection in, a form survey must be submitted to the Building Inspection office for review by a Plans Examiner. Once the form survey has been approved, the foundation inspection may be called in.

After the foundation inspection has been approved, the electrical rough, duct rough, and plumbing top-out inspections must be requested and approved before the framing inspection is requested. Top-out and duct rough must be requested together.

Frame Information

The frame and brick-tie inspections may be requested together. After the frame inspection has been approved, the energy inspection follows.

Mechanical & Building

Mechanical and Plumbing finals must be requested together. Electrical final may be requested at the same time. These inspections may be requested only after all previous inspections have been completed and green-tagged.

The building final, landscape final, energy final, and fence final (if applicable) are the last inspections to be requested and approved before utilities are released.