West Nile Virus
SEPTEMBER 24, 2020
The Garland Health Department (GHD) received a report of laboratory confirmed presence of West Nile Virus (WNV) in mosquitoes collected in the 3000 block of N. Spring Ct. (GA11).). GHD will initiate adulticide spraying throughout the surrounding area on September 24 and 25, weather permitting, to minimize the risk of human infections. Spraying will be conducted between the hours of 9 p.m. and 6 a.m.
Thus far in 2020, no WNV human cases have been confirmed in the City of Garland but the presence of the disease in mosquitoes means that transmission to humans is possible, so residents are urged to take preventative measures.
MOSQUITO TRAP LOCATIONS
Positive 2020 WNV+ mosquito trap locations are as follows:
- 1800 block of Concho Drive (GA17), 9/15/20
- 2500 block of Wood Drive (GA02), 9/2/20
- 3000 block of N. Spring Court (GA11), 9/1/20, 9/22/20
- 500 block of W. Vista Drive (GA20), 8/6/20
- 3400 block of Vista Oaks Drive (GA27), 8/6/20
- 4900 block of Gatewood Road (GA25), 7/30/20, 8/26/20
- 1400 block of Surrey Court (GA21), 7/16/20
- 1900 block of Belt Line Road (GA01), 7/14/20
The Garland Health Department (GHD) is currently trapping at 27 selected locations per week.
mosquito trapping and spraying map
Citizens can view a mosquito trapping and spraying map depicting areas where WNV has been detected and subsequently sprayed to reduce the adult mosquito population.
The City of Garland uses Envion 30-30 (PDF) for adulticiding from a truck-mounted, ultra-low volume spraying unit.